Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Dont Be Stupid


In Stuff Every Player Should Know, Dick DeVenzio is not simply teaching proper shooting technique and ways to improve your vertical. He has written a guide to success in basketball through doing the little things. The first step in this was him making sure that we the students are fully aware of who knows best.

"No team ever lost by playing the wrong defense. They lost by playing that defense poorly" (DeVenzio 10). Directly, DeVenzio is telling you to give the defense you are told to play its best shot, but indirectly, he wants you to know that your coach is always right. That even if your coach is 100% wrong about something, he is still right.


In sports, you have to be able to trust your coach, and must do what they say wholeheartedly. Recently I have had trouble trusting one of my coaches because I dont think he wants what is best for his players, I think he wants what is best for himself to look good in the coaching world. But if I dont listen to him that wont do me any good either, and I just have to believe that he has my best interest.

In your experience, did your team perform better all doing their own thing because they thought the coach was wrong, or all doing the same thing that your coach told them to do?

Citation: 

DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know. 3rd ed. Stafford: PGC
     Basketball, 1983. Print. 
download